Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Feeling like a the media gal

Today Annie, our 2nd sponsor and the founder of Mississippi Home Again/Operation TLC, came back from her 10-day ski vacation.

Finally.

She gave me a whole lot of insight as how to do this crazy media/pr job here at the center, and because of her, I got to have a rather fantastic day.

She booked me to be on a radio show Tuesday to talk about getting more volunteers and donations for the program.

(I'll have to practice my sweet/sophisticated/older than I normally sound/responsible voice.)

I contacted local reporters to give them scoop on a great story for tomorrow morning. (I'll give the link if it makes it on tv or in the paper)

I made friends with the nice folks at the Chamber of Commerce, who let us use their photocopier.

I met a man profiled in one of the past Americorps member's articles in her hometown newspaper. He's writing a book on music theory. And learning how to type at 78 years old. Awesome.

I met a women who got into her house through her own blood, sweat and tears and works tirelessly to make sure others get what they need. She told me that she would fix me up with her adorable nephew and have me over for dinner. I fell in love. Her schedule is more packed than mine. She still drives and cooks and cares for people at 76.

A feel a little matchmaking action in the works.

I then sat in on a meeting of community members, heads of Churches, founders of various organizations related to Hurricane relief in the area, and FEMA Jay. (Well, Jay from FEMA)

Essentially, no one has what they need. People either have money and no crews, crews but no money, money and crews but no one to do case working, no skilled workers, not enough employees, trouble with the state's needs, trouble with the federal needs, the list goes on and on and on.

The amazing thing still is that no one gives up.

Everyone in that room knew they would still come in every day, still do whatever it takes to help their community. And that alone makes me sure that they will get it together. Because for me, there's nothing much I can do in that situation but sit back, assess it, and see whether I can offer anything with my fresh pair of eyes.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

No comments: