Sunday, March 11, 2007

what in the world is there to do in pascagoula?

Finally, time off.

For most of the team, at least.

On Saturday Morning, Tana, Scott, Curtis, Carlo and Ryan woke up, sleepily put on their uniforms, and were ready for work at 8am on the dot. Unfortunately, miscommunication meant that they didn't start work (at the correct place)for another two hours.

In the meantime, I slept, alongside David, Alex, Sara and Desi. And man, was it nice to sleep in.

I woke up around 9:30 and was a little guilty to find half my team working while the other half of us technically did not need to. We have to have a discussion about a work schedule. As my team leader Ryan advised me, "If don't want to work, I suggest you stay in the bedroom."

Never good to hear.

I swiftly decided to book it out of Operation TLC for the day, choosing to test my fate out in the community and hopefully find the weekend oasis that is a coffee shop to plant myself in for the afternoon.

Taking Ryan's words of advice to heart, I hid in the cleaning closet upon spying our workaholic site supervisor, Kate, talking to the team outside.

Blowdrying my hair at the front desk, I ducked when Kate, standing outside smoking, opened the door to talk to someone.

And finally, finally, I was free.

The sun bright in my eyes and breathing deeply of the polluted but amazingly fresh? air, I explored the "downtown" area of Pascagoula.

Downtown consists of:
1. The Bargain Annex (clothes, mostly mens, all ugly)
2. An extremely cute gift/children's store that seemed very out of place.
3. Monica's restaurant. Closed.
4. The library.

and finally

Dough Joe- A fantastic coffee/lunch place that is going to save my life here. Wireless, great sandwiches, a staff that will make you any kind of crazy drink combo you ask for (mostly just me, because I'm very specific) and tall tables, chairs, and even a tv area for a little guilty MTV viewing.

Granted, it closes at 7pm on weekdays and is only open from 11-2 on Sunday, but hell, I'll take what I can get.

No comments: